Summer Camp Intern
JOB TITLE: Summer Camp Intern
REPORTS TO: Summer Camp Coordinators
CATEGORY: Hourly / Nonexempt / Seasonal – June 11, 2018 to July 20, 2018
Bok Tower Gardens Discovery Days Summer Camp internship program provides motivated students the chance to have practical work experience.
Discovery Days Summer Camp is a series of stimulating day camps for children ages 6-8 and 9-12 filled with activities to keep young minds engaged and learning through the summer months. Week-long sessions for each age group feature activities to help children connect with the natural world through art, science, cooking, gardening, and sensory explorations and to develop leadership skills.
Discovery Days offer an experiential learning curriculum fostering awareness, appreciation, and stewardship of natural and cultural resources by connecting children to food, culture, and nature at the beautiful Bok Tower Gardens.
The Summer Camp Intern will assist the Summer Camp Coordinators with the day-to- day operations of each
camp session (a total of 4 weeks) including the care and supervision of the campers.
- Act as an integral member of the Summer Camp Program team.
- Be present and accessible from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday during entire camp season (4 weeks).
- Provide a welcoming and organized camp experience including greeting campers and families, staff, and volunteers.
- Support the needs of Summer Camp Coordinators and guest speakers.
- Help with set up, clean up, organization, and management of materials.
- Participate in briefings at the beginning and end of each day; be prepared to implement daily schedules and program changes in the morning.
- Exercise effective and personable communication with everyone at the Gardens: campers and their families, volunteers, staff, and other guests.
- Be flexible with the program schedule to meet the immediate and changing demands of campers while adhering to the goals and flow of the program.
- Observe camper behavior, assesses its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and report to Summer Camp Coordinators.
- Absolute commitment to the entire camp season.
- Clean background check.
- Interest in environmental education and/or teaching.
- Acceptance of diverse audiences in gender, race, religion, ethnicity, age, and mental and physicaldevelopment.
- Health and stamina to be standing and moving continuously from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., including bending, kneeling, squatting, lifting, twisting, walking, and getting up from the ground without support outside in Florida summer weather conditions.
- Self-motivated, detailed-oriented, and a team player.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Understanding of the connections between child development, experiential education, environmental education, nature, gardening, and youth programming.
- Sympathy for the emotional and physical needs of children.
- Possess a genuine love of nature, education, and youth.
- Possess a sense of adventure balanced with a strong sense of responsibility.
- Possess excellent organizational, communication, and people skills.
- Exemplify and model a general attitude of helpfulness, support, and growth.
- Possess integrity, sound judgment, and a sense of humor appropriate to all ages.
- Personal experience in gardening and a personal connection to the natural world.
- Appreciation for artistic expression in visual art, music, architecture, and the written word.
Resumes accompanied by letters of interest may be submitted by mail, fax or email to any of
the following. Applications may also be picked up at the entrance gate at the street address
listed below and may be mailed or returned to the entrance gate for processing. Bok Tower
Garden is an Equal Opportunity, E-Verify and Drug-Free Workplace employer.
Bok Tower Gardens
1151 Tower Blvd.
Lake Wales, FL 33853
Secure Fax: 866-462- 7162
Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.