Director of Facilities & Operations
TITLE: Director of Facilities & Operations
REPORTS TO: President of the Gardens
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time / Salaried / Exempt
Bok Tower Gardens is seeking a Director of Facilities and Operations for a campus complex within a 47-acre premier botanical garden. The ideal candidate supervises physical plant operations including all buildings and facilities, utilities, energy management systems and safety/security systems in order to provide a safe, healthy, comfortable, and esthetic environment for visitors and staff. The individual in this position is responsible for the scheduling and supervision of maintenance and repair activities, contracted services, custodial services, event set up, and ensuring the physical operation of the Gardens meets budgetary and strategic objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates department staff and volunteers ensures staff receives training related to specific job tasks and responsibilities
- Directs, schedules, and oversees external contractors (electricians, plumbers, roofers, painters, etc.)
- Schedules and supervises department staff engaged in building and facilities upkeep and repair; electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, wells and pumps, and roadways; custodial duties and event set up.
- Develops and monitors department budget; orders equipment and supplies and monitors inventory; makes requests for capital outlay expenditures on an annual basis as well as maintaining long-range capital improvement list for budget planning.
- Develops, implements, and supervises preventative maintenance and renovation programs for buildings, grounds, mechanical and electrical, utility, and safety and security systems.
- Maintain files and records of plans, schedules, equipment lists, and processes in a cloud based software system.
- Prepares specifications for physical plant projects; estimates costs of equipment, materials, labor, and supplies; prepares bid specifications for projects, equipment, and contracted services; oversees site and building projects performed by outside contractors.
- Develops specifications for cost-effective Garden wide energy management systems; supervises the operations, maintenance and repair of such systems
- Contributes to strategic planning by evaluating and projecting future facility needs and proposing options to achieve them
- Participate in senior management planning and strategic meetings, present to the Board of Directors
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, building trades, or related field, and;
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible experience in physical plant maintenance, with five or more years of supervisory experience, or; Combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with Garden faculty, staff, administrators and governing boards
- Experience in operational and strategic planning as well as budget development
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and information in written and oral format to administrative staff, professional colleagues, and governing board
- Computer Skills – to include knowledge of CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System), or similar program
- Knowledge of architectural, electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems
- Familiarity with Federal and State building codes and regulations
- Physically able to lift, bend, stoop, climb, and reach
We offer competitive wages and an attractive benefits package. Resumes, accompanied by letters of interest, may be submitted by mail, fax or email until the position is filled. Applications may be picked up at the entrance gate at the street address listed below and may be mailed or returned to the entrance gate for processing:
Bok Tower Gardens
1151 Tower Blvd.
Lake Wales, FL 33853