TITLE: Garden Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Horticulture Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time / Salaried / Exempt
Bok Tower Gardens, located in Lake Wales, Florida, offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced and motivated individual to join their Horticulture team. This position supervises an assigned team of gardeners/groundskeepers and acts in a leadership role on garden projects, as well as performing general gardening duties, and is responsible for the care and cultivation of an assigned garden area.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise, and evaluate the work of subordinates and/or volunteers
- Previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance with the ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment utilized in all phases of horticulture work (lawnmower, front-end loader, tractors, back pack sprayers, weed-eaters, etc.)
- Knowledge of garden plants and desire to learn Central Florida horticulture and the aesthetic ethic of the Gardens
- Ability to diagnose plant pests and diseases
- Ability to visualize and conceptualize garden detail and aesthetics applying best garden practices for plant health and display
- BA or BS in horticultural sciences
- Five (5+) years previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance; previous supervisory experience with landscape or garden staff;
- Knowledge and understanding of gardening practices and plant materials appropriate for the nature of the Gardens preferred;
- Current Florida Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License with ornamental and turf category or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
- Current Florida Certified Horticultural Professional certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
- Specialize in one of three areas – Irrigation, Pest Management, or Turf Management
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, fellow supervisors, direct supervisors, volunteers, and co-workers
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team effectively
- Ability to work with and supervise a diverse staff and volunteer group
- Strong organizational, analytical, and mathematical skills for research, recordkeeping, problem-solving.
- Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate maintenance and horticultural needs and personnel needs in a courteous and effective manner
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work outside in the Florida weather year-round
- Ability to lift and carry at least 60 lbs.
A horticulture competency test will be administered to all applicants invited to interview.
We offer competitive wages and an attractive benefits package. Resumes accompanied by letters of interest may be submitted by mail, fax or email in Microsoft Word format only to any of the following. Applications may also be picked up at the entrance gate at the street address listed below and may be mailed or returned to the entrance gate for processing.
Submit resumes, accompanied by letters of interest by mail, fax or email until the position is filled. Pick up applications at the entrance gate at the street address listed below and mail or return to the entrance gate for processing:
Bok Tower Gardens
1151 Tower Blvd.
Lake Wales, FL 33853
Secure Fax: 866-462-7162
Deadline for resume/application submission: Open until filled
Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview
Bok Tower Gardens is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer. BTG participates in E-Verify. E-Verify® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.