TITLE: Garden Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Horticulture Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time / Salaried / Exempt
- Provides daily supervision of garden staff, volunteers and/or volunteer work crews; may supervise special team projects
- Meets regularly with Horticulture Manager for work assignments to plan and coordinate projects determining necessary personnel or discussion of garden concerns; assigns gardeners with specific tasks and may participate in the more difficult and/or complex tasks or projects; apply pesticides and/or herbicides as needed or assigned
- Performs regular inspections throughout assigned areas of the gardens; routine inspections may identify insect/disease problems, weed control needs, etc.; reports major problems or concerns to Horticulture Manager and makes necessary recommendations for correction or control
- Responsible for the personal proper use and maintenance of tools, equipment, and materials; performs minor maintenance of power equipment and irrigation; refers more serious problems to the Horticulture Manager or Mechanic; oversees proper use and maintenance of tools and equipment by assigned garden staff
- Responsible for maintaining required knowledge of established garden plants and understanding the cultural requirements to maintain their growth and cultivation
- Responsible for the continual development of assigned supervised garden staff and building positive employee relations by coaching, counseling, mentoring, motivating, resolving conflict, praising, documentation of performance, etc.; participates in annual performance reviews of assigned garden staff
- Demonstrates a continual positive effort to maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and management
- Responsible for the department’s gardening staff’s safety performance
- BA or BS in horticultural sciences
- Three to five (3 to 5) years previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance
- Three to five (3 to 5) years previous supervisory experience, with landscape or garden staff preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of gardening practices and plant materials appropriate for the nature of the Gardens preferred
- Current Florida Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License with ornamental and turf category or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
- Current Florida Certified Horticultural Professional certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
- Ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment utilized in all phases of horticulture work (lawnmower, front-end loader, tractors, back pack sprayers, weed-eaters, etc.)
- Previous experience and knowledge of irrigation systems and maintenance
- Knowledge and understanding of gardening practices and plant materials
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work outside in the Florida weather year-round
- Ability to lift at least 60 lbs.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and mathematical skills for research, recordkeeping, problem-solving and plant accessioning
- Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate maintenance and horticultural needs and personnel needs in a courteous and effective manner
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise, and evaluate the work of subordinates and/or volunteers
- Occasional overall supervision of all garden supervisors and gardeners in the absence of the Horticulture Manager and/or the Director of Horticulture
- Specialize in one of three areas – Irrigation, Pest Management, or Plant Accessioning as assigned by Director of Horticulture.
This position supervises an assigned team of gardeners and acts in a leadership capacity on garden projects. This is a “hands-on” role for which this position performs general gardening duties, and is responsible for the care and cultivation of an assigned garden area.
A horticulture competency test will be administered to all applicants invited to interview.
We offer competitive wages and an attractive full-time employee benefits package. Resumes, accompanied by letters of interest, may be submitted by mail, fax or email. Applications may also be picked up at the entrance gate at the street address listed below and may be mailed or returned to the entrance gate for processing. Bok Tower Gardens is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Bok Tower Gardens
1151 Tower Blvd.
Lake Wales, FL 33853
Deadline for resume/application submission: Position is open until filled.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.