TITLE: Garden Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Horticulture Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Permanent; Exempt
Bok Tower Gardens Foundation located in Lake Wales, Florida offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced and motivated individual to join their Horticulture team. This position supervises and provides day-to-day active leadership to an assigned team of gardeners and volunteers. This position may assume overall supervision of all garden supervisors and gardeners in the absence of the Horticulture Manager and/or the Director of Horticulture.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, fellow supervisors, direct supervisors, volunteers, and co-workers
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team effectively
- Ability to work with and supervise a diverse staff and volunteer group
- Strong organizational, analytical, and mathematical skills for research, recordkeeping, problem-solving
- Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate maintenance and horticultural needs and personnel needs in a courteous and effective manner
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise, and evaluate the work of subordinates and/or volunteers
- Previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance with the ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment utilized in all phases of horticulture work (lawnmower, front-end loader, tractors, backpack sprayers, weed-eaters, etc.)
- Knowledge of garden plants and desire to learn Central Florida horticulture and the aesthetic ethic of the Gardens
- Ability to diagnose plant pests and diseases
- Ability to visualize and conceptualize garden detail and aesthetics applying best garden practices for plant health and display
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work outside in the Florida weather year-round
- Ability to lift and carry at least 60 lbs
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA or BS in horticultural sciences
- Five (5+) years previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance
- Three (3) years previous supervisory experience with landscape or garden staff
- Knowledge and understanding of gardening practices and plant materials appropriate for the nature of the Gardens preferred
- Current Florida Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License with ornamental and turf category or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
- Current Florida Certified Horticultural Professional certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
- Specialize in one of three areas – Irrigation, Pest Management, or Turf Management
A horticulture competency test will be administered to all applicants invited to interview.
We offer competitive wages and an attractive full-time employee benefits package. Resumes, accompanied by letters of interest, may be submitted by mail, fax or email. Applications may also be picked up at the entrance gate at the street address listed below and may be mailed or returned to the entrance gate for processing. Bok Tower Gardens is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Bok Tower Gardens
1151 Tower Blvd.
Lake Wales, FL 33853
Deadline for resume/application submission: Position is open until filled.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.