Summer Camp Intern
TITLE: Summer Camp Intern
REPORTS TO: Summer Camp Coordinators
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time; Internship; Hourly; Non-exempt
Bok Tower Gardens Discovery Days Summer Camp internship program provides motivated students the chance to have practical work experience.
Discovery Days Summer Camp is a series of stimulating day camps for children ages 6-8 and 9-12 filled with activities to keep young minds engaged and learning through the summer months. Week-long sessions for each age group feature activities to help children connect with the natural world through art, science, cooking, gardening, and sensory explorations and to develop leadership skills.
Discovery Days offer an experiential learning curriculum fostering awareness, appreciation, and stewardship of natural and cultural resources by connecting children to food, culture, and nature at the beautiful Bok Tower Gardens. Camp themes for 2017 are:
- Fur, Feather, Fins and More (the week of June 19)
- Team Building and Beyond (the week of June 26)
- Grow it, Cook it, Eat it (the week of July 10)
- Creative Expression in the Gardens (the week of July 17)
The Summer Camp Intern will assist the Summer Camp Coordinators with the day-to- day operations of each camp session (a total of 4 weeks) including the care and supervision of the campers.
- Act as an integral member of the Summer Camp Program team.
- Be present and accessible from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday during entire camp season (4 weeks).
- Provide a welcoming and organized camp experience including greeting campers and families, staff, and volunteers.
- Support the needs of Summer Camp Coordinators and guest speakers.
- Help with set up, clean up, organization, and management of materials.
- Participate in briefings at the beginning and end of each day; be prepared to implement daily schedules and program changes in the morning.
- Exercise effective and personable communication with everyone at the Gardens: campers and their families, volunteers, staff, and other guests.
- Be flexible with the program schedule to meet the immediate and changing demands of campers while adhering to the goals and flow of the program.
- Observe camper behavior, assesses its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and report to Summer Camp Coordinators.
- Absolute commitment to the entire camp season.
- Clean background check.
- Interest in environmental education and/or teaching.
- Acceptance of diverse audiences in gender, race, religion, ethnicity, age, and mental and physical development.
- Health and stamina to be standing and moving continuously from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., including bending, kneeling, squatting, lifting, twisting, walking, and getting up from the ground without support outside in Florida summer weather conditions.
- Self-motivated, detailed-oriented, and a team player.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Understanding of the connections between child development, experiential education, environmental education, nature, gardening, and youth programming.
- Sympathy for the emotional and physical needs of children.
- Possess a genuine love of nature, education, and youth.
- Possess a sense of adventure balanced with a strong sense of responsibility.
- Possess excellent organizational, communication, and people skills.
- Exemplify and model a general attitude of helpfulness, support, and growth.
- Possess integrity, sound judgment, and a sense of humor appropriate to all ages.
- Personal experience in gardening and a personal connection to the natural world.
- Appreciation for artistic expression in visual art, music, architecture, and the written word.
Resumes, accompanied by letters of interest, may be submitted by mail, fax or email. Applications may also be picked up at the entrance gate at the street address listed below and may be mailed or returned to the entrance gate for processing. Bok Tower Gardens is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Bok Tower Gardens
1151 Tower Blvd.
Lake Wales, FL 33853
Deadline for resume/application submission: Position is open until filled.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.