TITLE: Garden Educator
REPORTS TO: Director of Education
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Permanent; Exempt
Bok Tower Gardens is part of a growing movement connecting people to the natural world, to the stories we tell to understand the world and to our food systems. The Garden Educator is a position that offers critical support to connect and engage learners of all ages through quality programming that fosters appreciation, builds knowledge, and cultivates a sense of wonder around food, culture and nature. The Garden Educator helps plan and prepare for experiential education programs, leads educational field trip programs and engages children and families in the Children’s Garden.
Qualified candidates should have a passion for nature and be able to deliver quality, creative, hands-on programming; be comfortable developing, planning and/or teaching programs and events for all ages including gardening, plant, environmental, history, cultural, art and multi-disciplinary programs; working with all ages of BTG staff, volunteers, donors, parents, interns and teachers; and coordinate and train volunteers. In addition, they should be efficient, organized, fiscally responsible, and have excellent verbal, written and computer skills.
- bachelor’s degree in education, natural sciences, horticulture, or a related field
- minimum two years’ experience in teaching and leading youth programs including program delivery and program management
- knowledge of principles, techniques, goals and objectives of environmental education
- acceptance of diverse audiences in gender, race, religion, ethnicity, age, and mental and physical development
- demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations including youth and adults
- health and stamina to be standing and moving continuously from 9 am to 5 pm including bending, kneeling, squatting, lifting, twisting, walking, getting up from the ground without support, outside in Florida summer weather conditions
- self-motivated, detailed-oriented, team player
- strong interpersonal communication skills
- current Basic First Aid and CPR Certification
- clean background check
- sympathy for the emotional and physical needs of children
- possess a genuine love of nature, education, and youth
- possess a sense of adventure balanced with a strong sense of responsibility
- possess excellent people skills
- exemplify and model a general attitude of helpfulness, support, and growth
- possess integrity, sound judgment, and a sense of humor appropriate to all ages
We offer competitive wages and an attractive full-time employee benefits package. Resumes, accompanied by letters of interest, may be submitted by mail, fax or email. Applications may also be picked up at the entrance gate at the street address listed below and may be mailed or returned to the entrance gate for processing. Bok Tower Gardens is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Bok Tower Gardens
1151 Tower Blvd.
Lake Wales, FL 33853
Deadline for resume/application submission: Position is open until filled.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.