TITLE: Retail Manager
DEPARTMENT: Tower & Garden Gift Shop
REPORTS TO: CFO
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Permanent; Exempt
Bok Tower Gardens, a public garden with annual attendance of approximately 190,000 visitors, is centrally located between Tampa and Orlando among rolling hills of citrus. Dedicated in 1929, the National Historic Landmark was a gift from Dutch immigrant Edward Bok, Pulitzer-prize winning author, social reformer, conservationist, and world peace advocate. The historic Olmsted gardens was planned as a bird sanctuary and meditative garden surrounding an art deco and neo-Gothic 205 foot carillon tower of pink marble and tan coquina stone. The 60-bell carillon and its facilities is the finest in the world.
The Tower & Garden Gift Shop at Bok Tower Gardens is currently seeking to fill a full-time, permanent Retail Manager position. Our Gift Shop also encompasses our Plant Shop. Gift Shop operating hours are 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. daily and 1,770 square feet with over $650,000 in sales. The Plant Shop has the same operating hours and is 1,991 square feet. Qualified candidate must be flexible to work weekdays, weekends, holidays, and/or special events and able to travel and work some holidays, weekends and evenings. This salaried position comes with generous benefits.
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration preferred or related field
- 7 – 10 years direct management and supervisory experience in retail service
- Must be able to travel and work some holidays, weekends and evenings
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Extensive knowledge of merchandising techniques, store display and selling methods
- Considerable knowledge of merchandise buying procedures and product market values
- Knowledge of administrative procedures, personnel management and supervisory techniques
- Superior ability to supervise the work of others
- Considerable ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Develop a vision and long-term plan for the profitable growth of Gift & Plant Shop sales while reflecting the Gardens’ mission.
- Develop merchandise mix strategies within the context of non-profit retail that promote the collection, exhibits and current retail trends.
- Continually research market for new sources of inventory and ensure all merchandise is appropriate and related to Gardens’ mission.
- Plan, develop, and find sources for Gardens-branded custom merchandise including concept, design, production, pricing, and delivery in collaboration with appropriate staff.
- Maintain organized product files (proposals, contracts/agreements, quotes, performance reports, etc.).
- Oversee purchase of merchandise for resale within the annual merchandise- buying plan (OTB) and within established net profit margin.
- Prepare purchase orders for merchandise; receive merchandise, verify quantity and cost, and forward necessary paperwork to Accounting.
- Prepare, analyze, and manage annual operating budgets, unique financial reports developed specifically for the store, inventory, projections, etc.
- Establish appropriate markup and regulate pricing structures.
- Hire, train, schedule, and supervise store team members. Set and monitor sales goals, and performance management. Prepare and present annual employee evaluations.
- Establish and monitor cash and inventory control system; conduct annual physical inventory and report inventory valuations to Accounting; maintain adequate inventory levels.
- Fulfill all sales order transactions; ensure that daily sales reports are completed and petty cash and sales receipts balance; pull stock for shipments and transfers.
- Establish merchandise themes and implement these into attractive displays.
- Maintain operating policies and procedures. Set, communicate, and ensure compliance with policies for sales, reports, handling of merchandise, customer service, cash handling, returns, and store opening and closing.
- Maintain customer and vendor database and files.
- Maintain regular store hours, as well as operate during special events, including evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Interface with other departments in all relevant aspects of the promotion, advertising, and utilization of the store.
- In conjunction with others in the organization, develop and manage all retail advertising, marketing, and special promotions.
- Coordinate and order all necessary inventories for special events, educational programs, and author appearances.
- Plan and implement seasonal merchandising themes.
- Oversee wholesale and Web sales programs.
- Supervise all point-of- sale/retail software and hardware problems, issues, and updates.
- Maintain confidentiality of all Gardens and proprietary information.
- Take shifts on the sales floor to lead and train by example.
We offer competitive wages and an attractive full-time employee benefits package. Resumes, accompanied by letters of interest, may be submitted by mail, fax or email. Applications may also be picked up at the entrance gate at the street address listed below and may be mailed or returned to the entrance gate for processing. Bok Tower Gardens is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Bok Tower Gardens
1151 Tower Blvd.
Lake Wales, FL 33853
Deadline for resume/application submission: Position is open until filled.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.