Becoming a resilient gardener is more important than ever before. Preparing delicious dishes is the reward for growing and cultivating a healthy garden.
Papaya is filled with nutrients, making it a great source of vitamins as well as healthy fiber. It is also full of enzymes that boost digestive health. This unripe green papaya is actually even healthier, as it contains even more of its natural enzymes.
This recipe was created by Stephen Kane, a member of the Bok Tower Gardens Education team.
Stephen’s Green Papaya Salad
This is an adaptation of the Vietnamese green papaya salad.
- 1 large green unripe papaya- roughly 4 cups of shredded green papaya
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup chopped green beans or shredded carrots
- 5 5 Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- Optional: ¼ cup roasted unsalted peanuts or 1 TBS sesame seeds to sprinkle on top before serving.
- To prepare a green papaya, cut the papaya in half the long way. Peel the papaya and remove seeds with a spoon and shred papaya into a large bowl.
- Then add all the other ingredients and mix together.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to help the flavors marinate.