No party is complete without a few dips. This recipe uses pantry staples combined with fresh ingredients to make Taco Tuesday a bit more exciting. The recipe is a remake of the classic 7-layer dip, made with swaps like Greek yogurt or sour cream and low-sodium refried beans. Serve with baked tortilla chips or veggies for dipping.
Avocados are great for adding creaminess to recipes and have loads of natural antioxidants and healthy fats. Use Florida avocados if available or substitute with produce grown in Mexico.
This recipe works with both tomato and tomatillo salsa varieties. Tomatillos are used in the creation of Salsa Verde that has notes of acidity and herbaceousness.
By making some low sodium substitutions, you can up the flavor and enjoy a healthier version of this fan favorite.
7-Layer Taco Dip
- 1½ cups nonfat plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tsp low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can (15.4 oz) low-sodium refried beans
- 2 medium fresh advocados, mashed
- 16 oz salsa
- 3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- Mix yogurt and taco seasoning in small bowl.
- Spread beans in 11×8-inch baking dish. Top beans in the following order, spreading each layer evenly over the last: yogurt, avocados, salsa, lettuce, cheese and olives.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes. Serve chilled with veggie strips and chips.